Visitors to simonkingwildlife.com may remember that in 2009 Simon was asked to be on the judging panel for the New 7 Wonders of Nature campaign.
Headed by the former Director-General of UNESCO, Spain’s Prof. Dr. Federico Mayor Zaragoza, Simon and the other judges chose their shortlist of 28 candidates from a long list of 77 unique environments using the following criteria:
- Unique beauty of the nominated site
- Diversity and distribution (accounted for in 7 groups)
- Ecological significance (in terms of either stand-alone eco-systems and/or their significance for human beings)
- Historical legacy (relation that human beings and/or indigenous populations have or have had with the site)
- Geo-location (even distribution of the 28 Official Finalists between all continents)
On the 11.11.11 after months of public voting the final 7 were announced. How exciting!